Marking the conclusion of what the veteran infielder described as a “crazy offseason,” Walker and the Yankees agreed to a one-year contract worth $4 million, adding another splash of experience to a lineup that is expected to be among the game’s best.
General manager Brian Cashman said the 32-year-old Walker will be asked to play first base, second base and third base, positions that he manned last year for the Mets and Brewers.
Because of Walker’s late arrival and the performance of others in camp — most notably Tyler Wade — Cashman said Walker is not being guaranteed a starting role.
Wade, who entered play on Monday with seven hits in 24 at-bats (.292), did not seem to be concerned by the arrival of another challenger.
Even if Walker reaches them all, the deal represents a massive dip from the $17.2 million he earned last year after accepting the Mets’ qualifying offer.